With the Premier League season drawing to a close, the attention is moving towards the next season and you can already use this Unibet promo code to bet on who will win the title next season. But it’s not all about the future as you’ll read below.
The Premier League is a very spectacular football competition that awards fans with some very spectacular highlights. No matter if you’re looking for the match of the day highlights, or some games in the past, you will be able to read all about it here.
Being the first official footballing competition, the Premier League still holds its place up high in the football world, delivering fans some of the most spectacular confrontations and highlights. Either if we’re talking about the eternal derby between the two teams in Manchester or an older grudge between the tens of other teams involved in the Premier League. In the following rows, you will be able to check out 10 of the most-disputed match highlights.
Chelsea vs Tottenham – 2nd of May 2016 – 2-2
In what is already considered a highlight of the Premier League, Chelsea and Tottenham went head to head with Chelsea being determined to do everything it takes in order not to let the Spurs win the championship. Tottenham desperately needed a win in order to stay in the race for the Premier League alongside Leicester. The highlights of this match must include the points from Son Heung and Harry Kane that had the Spurs leading at half time. But Chelsea showed a totally different face in the second half thanks to the introduction of Hazard that also scored the highlight goal to make it 2-2.
Newcastle vs Manchester United – 20th of October 1996 – 5-0
No matter how much of an United fan you are, such a highlight defeat can’t be contested. This is that type of game that definitely could’ve catch the match of the day highlights, solely due to the shocking defeat that Manchester United suffered, one of the harshest in the entire club history highlights. Even though such a result wasn’t repeated until now, that was a highlight moment for Newcastle and definitely one of the most cherished Premier League highlights. It’s also safe to say that not even the best football bets and predictions couldn’t see this one coming.
Leicester vs Arsenal – 27th of August 1997 – 3-3
Even though this is the highlight season when Arsenal won the title, it wasn’t all smooth sailing for the Gunners. The game seemed to follow its natural course when Dennis Bergkamp already had two goals at the 1-hour mark. But, even though Leicester were far from the form that brought them the highlight title the 2015 / 2016 season, they weren’t going to accept a plain defeat on their own stadium. So, Emil Heskey scored the first highlight point for the Foxes around the 80th minute with Matt Elliot to score the equalizer in the 93rd minute of the match. Everyone at the stadium thought that was it and that 2-2 will be the final result of the game. But Bergkamp had other plans, scoring a wonderful highlight point after beating his man and excellently slotted the ball past the goalkeeper. But, as everyone was expecting to hear the final whistle and some fans even started to leave the stadium, Steve Walsh managed to score yet once again, bringing Leicester a well-deserved point.
Other Matches that Complete the Top 10
- Newcastle vs Arsenal – 4 – 4 – 5th of February 2011 – highlights. What started as a disastrous game for Newcastle that were down 4 goals at the half-time point, ended in a highlight draw after a red card received by an Arsenal player, 2 penalties for Newcastle and an excellent volley. No matter how many odds comparison sites you would’ve checked, there was nothing to prepare you for such a game.
- Aston Villa – Man United – 1 – 2 – 23rd of August 1993 – highlights. Aston Villa seemed to grab a stunner win right before Lee Sharpe and Paul Ince grabbed two goals for Manchester to turn the fate of this highlight game around.
- Wigan – West Ham – 3 – 2 – 15th of May 2011 – highlights. A battle in the relegation area, West Ham went to the dressing room with a 2-point advantage that seemed to secure their victory. But Wigan came out determined not to drop and scored 3 goals in the second half.
- Tottenham – Man United – 3 -5 – 1st of October 2001 – highlights. After the hosts had a 3-goal advantage at half-time, even the biggest Man United fan couldn’t hope for what was about to happen. No less than 5 highlight goals were netted by the ‘Devils’ to ruin Spurs’ celebration
- Liverpool – Newcastle – 4 -3 – 3rd of April 1996 – highlights. This very contested game could’ve been anyone’s for the taking. Both teams had the lead then lost it only for Liverpool to, finally, grab a late winner.
- Arsenal – Man United – 3 – 2 – 9th of November 1997 – highlights. The first Premier League goal of Nicolas Anelka opened the scoring in this brilliant match. Arsenal made it 2-0 quickly but Manchester didn’t want to go without a fight and equalized before half-time. They grabbed a highlight winner in the second half in what would be the first Premier League title for Wenger.
- Manchester City – QPR – 3 -2 – 13th of May 2012 – highlights. The highlight match that would decide the title was not one to be watched by that faint of heart. Two goals were netted in the added 5 minutes for Manchester City to win the Premier League.